Subscribe Now

To Subscribe to this blog using email:
Enter your email address below

To Subscribe to the blog using a blog reading tool:
Use the link below

Friday, July 25, 2008

Trip & G-Tube update

Hi there...We made it! And we did really well!! This first flight was a bit difficult. Never travel with a baby in the bulk head - no place to store anything! And...Brooke let it rip in her diaper during the trip and the jet had no changing place for baby. After a bit of pressure from the woman next to me, I changed Brooke's diaper on the floor in the galley of the airplane. No turbulence (besides that in her diaper of course)- thank god! I learned very quickly that I had to ask for help. Once I did, people were very willing to help out. We brought the support chair in Brooke's new Kimba Base - which is a stroller base. It was great. She beat on her tray while we shot up and down the airport hallways keeping busy between flights.

Ryan taught Brooke how to hit her musical goat puppet in order to get it to make noise. She was all about that all week long. She loved it. I also had a very special moment with Brooke...after the funeral we were sitting at the luncheon together with my dad and aunt. Brooke was very talkative. Brooke said.... 'ama' after my repeating mama a bunch of times. I about jumped out of my chair! Immediately after her first 'ama', she repeated it again and looked back at me and smiled! I can't even really believe it now! BUT...I had two witnesses, so it was real! So great!!

On another note, we did decide to move forward with the g-tube surgery. The doctors were scheduling her for late August, but her fluid intake has declined further. So...they scheduled her for Monday! This is good...this is what needs to happen...none the less, we are a bit shell shocked. We are nervous, but at the same time, hopeful that we will once again know what a full diaper is like, that Brooke will get enough calories to have energy all day long - not just the morning -, and that Brooke will be able to more consistently progress once she gets everything her body needs. 8 am on Monday - say a prayer. I'll make sure to update everyone throughout the process.

The surgery is straight forward. Fairly simple and short. I don't know how long they will put her under, but she has been sedated before and did fine with it. They will keep us up to 3 days depending on how she is doing, so we could be home as soon as Tuesday. Thanks everyone, for all of your support. We are nervous, like I said, but we are a very happy family!

1 comment:

Audrey Breen said...

Prayers for Baby Brooke are going up this morning. I'm praying for wise doctors, a perfect surgery and a speedy recovery. Here's to full diapers coming soon!!